Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Setting The Records Straight After Tijaniya and Ahlu-Sunna Recent Clash (Pt 1)


Imam Rashid
A LEADING Member of the Tijaniya Muslim Community in Tamale, Sheihu Salawatia Rashid Hussein popularly known as Imam Rashid has vehemently rubbished media reports that he led a section of his people to spark up the recent destructive violence between the Tijaniyas and the Ahlu-Sunna/Ambariya Muslims divide in the metropolis.
Imam Rahid who is also a retired officer of the Ghana Armed Force said he was innocent of the accusation and described the media reports as “completely false and malicious attempts being orchestrated to taint his hard won reputation as a peace broker”.
Speaking at a Press Conference organised at his residence in Tamale, Imam Rashid said “On Monday 20th of August 2012, there were reports in some sections of the media that Sheihu Salawatia (Imam Rashid) attacked the Ambariyya Mosque at a time congregational prayer was going on. What we have all read in the press is a complete diversion of what happened and I would like to make a humble request of your precious time to enable me take you through the whole matter. I know that all of you would like to hear my side of the incident and not only that but also the truth of the matter. I wish to state categorically that I did not attack the Ambariyya Mosque as reported. As a Muslim, especially of my stature, I know the mosque is the house of Allah, and will never attempt or venture to attack my fellow Muslim, let alone attacking a mosque. It is never true. I was invited to the conclusion of the Interpretation of the Quran (Tafsir) 2012 at Aboabo. In the last five years or so I have participated in the event each time I am invited. When the occasion ended, some of the congregants decided to accompany me home as has always been the practice. We sang joyfully praising Allah and the Holy Prophet Mohammed. Let me add that, this was not an organised procession. Earlier on, before I left home for the occasion, I had telephone calls informing me about road closures or barricades to deny me the right to pass through Saksaka to Aboabo. I spoke to Sheikh Al Hussein who was the convener of the function about the information I had. He told me he had received similar information and had informed the Police about it. We got to Aboabo safely and the ceremony ended successfully. Our journey back home was peaceful; it was full of glee, pomp and pageantry as we praised Allah (SWT) and chanted praises to the Prophet of Islam (SAW) and His Household. This again is a normal practice because it was the same day we celebrated the Eid ul-Fitr. Our happiness and joy was interrupted as we had to stop at approximately100 metres away to the main Ambariyya Mosque due to gunshots coming from the direction of the mosque; this disruption took between half a minute or so after which we continued. When we were close to the Ambariyya Mosque, there were stone throwing from the opposite side of the Mosque across the road but the assailants bolted after doing that. By the Grace of Allah no person was hurt, and we continued our journey smoothly to my residence. I was informed later that some of the people who accompanied me home were ambushed and assaulted. These were innocent people who were victimised because they belonged to the Tijaniya sect.
 
The Imam nevertheless commended the security agencies for their swift interventions and constant patrolling of the Tamale Metropolis ever since the incidence occurred. 

However, Imam Rashid who traced the antagonism or misunderstanding between the Tijaniyas and Ambariya Ahlu-Sunnas to way back 1960s, disputed another media reports that the dissension between the two sects was about the interpretation of the Quran. 

According to him, the main bone of contention was that the Ambariyya Ahlu-Sunna for the past 40 years or so had persistently accused the Tijaniyya Sect of corrupting Islam and practicing it wrongly, and consequently, condemned the Tijaniyya sect to hell. Contesting that, “One of the most commonly quoted Hadith by the Ambariya Ahlu Sunnah scholars, which is their basis for condemning the Tijaniyya sect turns out to be a fabricated Hadith; and not only that, that particular Hadith in question is not found in the most authentic Hadiths (Books) which are six in number”.
 
The Tijaniya Leader further explained that “I did the Mubahala holding the Quran and on each occasion I had more than 600 individuals, men and women, children and adults that witnessed the process. I invoked the curse of Allah on myself not to see the end of Ramadan if what I am preaching is a lie and challenged the other disputing parties who are always in the lead to condemn the Tijanniya Practice of Islam to also do the Mubahala so that Allah (SWT) will settle the matter between us once and for all. At this moment in time that I stand before you to brief you on the truth about the matter, we are yet to see any Ulamah (Clergy) coming forward to also inform his congregation that what they are also preaching is the truth”.
 
He passionately appealed to the security agencies, to intensify their investigations into the incident and publish their findings in order to clear his name and to also safeguard his hard won prestige, reputation and gifted talent which he said was at stake.
 
It would be recalled that tensions sparked up between the two main Islamic groups in Tamale, the Tijaniyas and the Ambariya Ahlu-Sunnas on the final day celebration of this year’s Ramadan after some derogatory remarks and attacks were launched by one of the sects on a local radio station prompting reprisal attack from the opposite site. The incidence led to firing of guns, burning of motorbikes, road blocks, attacks on two radio stations and assaults on innocent people. It took the Security agencies to bring the situation under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment